Sand artist Pattnaik creates sculpture to pay homage to Delhi gang-rape victim
Puri: Renowned sand artist Sudarshan Pattnaik created a sculpture here to pay homage to the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim.
The sculpture, with the slogan ``We Want Justice``, modelled in the shape of a candle, with a woman`s tear-stained face on one side was prepared by Pattnaik and his students.
Pattnaik, known for commemorating the issues of the day with his work, said that sexual violence against women must stop and the perpetrators be brought to justice.
"We appeal that justice be done. What is happening is very sad, because such incidents happening in the 21st century shame us before the world. We have made this sculpture to highlight this issue. My students and I prepared this together so that we and the tourists who come to the beach can pay tribute," he said.
Tourists at the beach placed flowers at the sculpture as a mark of their tributes, and prayed for the peace of the departed soul.
"We condemn the rape that took place in Delhi. We have all gathered at the beach to pray for the peace of the departed soul. We also pray that such incidents do not take place in future," said Ashish, a tourist.
The body of the 23-year-old gang raped woman who died at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital early on Saturday after battling for survival for 13 days, was cremated here early on Sunday morning in the presence of her family, some government dignitaries and officials.
The cremation took place within hours of the body being brought from Singapore in a special aircraft of Air India.
On landing at the Indira Gandhi International Airport at 3.30 am on Sunday, the plane was taken to its technical area where Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi were present to receive the body. Both the Prime Minister and the Congress chief Singh spoke to the girl`s family members and consoled them.
The body was then taken to the girl`s residence where religious rituals were performed before taking it to the crematorium amid heavy deployment of police and Rapid Action Force personnel.
Minister of State for Home RPN Singh, West Delhi MP Mahabal Mishra, Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta were also present at the cremation. The media was not allowed inside the crematorium.
The woman, a physiotherapy student, was gang raped and brutally assaulted allegedly by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 night. While undergoing treatment at Safdarjung hospital, she was shifted to the Singapore hospital for further treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!