Sandeep Dikshit renews demand for Delhi Police Commissioner`s removal
New Delhi: Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit on Sunday renewed his demand for the removal of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, echoing the views of people protesting the rape of a five-year-old girl here.
Dikshit, son of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, said when incidents like the rape of a girl takes place, there is a need to send a message and fixing accountability is important.
"My stand on the removal of Police Commissioner remains the same as it was during last time (after the gangrape of a young girl in a moving bus in December last).
"When such an incident takes place and you want to give a message, then accountability is the most important part of that message," the East Delhi MP, who is also a Congress spokesperson, said.
Demanding that Delhi Police be brought under the control of city government sans VIP security wing, he alleged police and bureaucracy do not want this as it will result in increased accountability and responsibility.
"Nobody wants that responsibility increases. They know that if Delhi Police comes under state government, their accountability and responsibility will increase.
"So nobody wants this to happen. We demand bringing the Delhi Police except VVIP security and internal security under state government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding