Sangma discusses challenging Mukherjee`s election as Prez
New Delhi: PA Sangma appears set to file an election petition against President-elect Pranab Mukherjee as he held consultations with his supporters and some top BJP leaders here on Tuesday evening to discuss the issue.
Sources close to him said Sangma will take a final call later this week on challenging the election of Mukherjee who will assume office tomorrow as the country`s 13th President.
Sangma will be consulting his legal team later this week and an election petition against Mukherjee will be filed by the end of next week, sources close to him said.
Jain said as per law, an election petition can be filed within 30 days of the election and the same can be filed latest by August 21.
The tribal leader today met BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj, Ananth Kumar, S S Ahluwalia and Satya pal Jain, besides Arvind Netam, at his residence and thanked them for extending their support to his candidature in the presidential poll.
Though the parties supporting Sangma had a total of 28 per cent votes in the electoral college, Sangma secured about 31 per cent votes.
Congress had, however, condemned Sangma`s reaction after the presidential election results saw UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee winning it with a thumping majority in a direct contest with him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata