Sangma discusses challenging Mukherjee`s election as Prez
New Delhi: PA Sangma appears set to file an election petition against President-elect Pranab Mukherjee as he held consultations with his supporters and some top BJP leaders here on Tuesday evening to discuss the issue.
Sources close to him said Sangma will take a final call later this week on challenging the election of Mukherjee who will assume office tomorrow as the country`s 13th President.
Sangma will be consulting his legal team later this week and an election petition against Mukherjee will be filed by the end of next week, sources close to him said.
Jain said as per law, an election petition can be filed within 30 days of the election and the same can be filed latest by August 21.
The tribal leader today met BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj, Ananth Kumar, S S Ahluwalia and Satya pal Jain, besides Arvind Netam, at his residence and thanked them for extending their support to his candidature in the presidential poll.
Though the parties supporting Sangma had a total of 28 per cent votes in the electoral college, Sangma secured about 31 per cent votes.
Congress had, however, condemned Sangma`s reaction after the presidential election results saw UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee winning it with a thumping majority in a direct contest with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation