Sangma discusses challenging Mukherjee`s election as Prez
New Delhi: PA Sangma appears set to file an election petition against President-elect Pranab Mukherjee as he held consultations with his supporters and some top BJP leaders here on Tuesday evening to discuss the issue.
Sources close to him said Sangma will take a final call later this week on challenging the election of Mukherjee who will assume office tomorrow as the country`s 13th President.
Sangma will be consulting his legal team later this week and an election petition against Mukherjee will be filed by the end of next week, sources close to him said.
Jain said as per law, an election petition can be filed within 30 days of the election and the same can be filed latest by August 21.
The tribal leader today met BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj, Ananth Kumar, S S Ahluwalia and Satya pal Jain, besides Arvind Netam, at his residence and thanked them for extending their support to his candidature in the presidential poll.
Though the parties supporting Sangma had a total of 28 per cent votes in the electoral college, Sangma secured about 31 per cent votes.
Congress had, however, condemned Sangma`s reaction after the presidential election results saw UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee winning it with a thumping majority in a direct contest with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly