Sangma to float national political party soon
Ranchi: P A Sangma, who resigned from the NCP in the run up to the presidential poll on Sunday said he will float a national party in the next few days, but would not intervene in the political future of his daughter and Union Minister Agatha.
"Some tribal leaders are there with me, and it is in discussion stage. It will be a national party, and those regional parties willing to support can do so by coordinating from their respective states," Sangma told PTI here.
"It (name of the party) is likely to be announced by this month end," the 64-year-old former Lok Sabha Speaker said.
Sangma was, however, categorical on his daughter`s political future saying, "she will continue where she is now," indicating that he would not exert any pressure on her.
Asked whether former MP and Jharkhand Disom Party`s Salkhan Murmu was one of the tribal leaders in his panel ahead of creating the party, Sangma said, "Let us see, how things move".
Sangma, who lost the presidential election on July 19, later told a gathering of tribals and `moolwasis` (original non-tribal inhabitants) that he knew the numbers were against him.
"I knew that I would not win the presidential poll. But I wanted to send a message that tribals, who are known as simple people, can also put up a strong fight," Sangma said and called upon tribals not to allow others to exploit them.
"Be courageous and strong and fight for your rights," he said.
On Murmu`s invitation, Sangma visited Nagri area situated on the outskirts of the state capital to listen to tribals protesting against giving away their land to the government for setting up educational institutions.
Sangma had quit NCP as his party was opposed to his determination to contest against UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in