Sangma will support Pranab: NCP
New Delhi: The NCP on Tuesday expressed confidence that party leader P A Sangma will ultimately support UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
Ahead of a NCP meeting on Thursday, National Congress Party leader D P Tripathi met Finance Minister Mukherjee on Tuesday.
"It was a courtesy call. We are an ally of UPA, so I came to meet him," Tripathi told reporters.
On Sangma`s refusal to withdraw from the presidential race, Tripathi said: "He is a senior leader. We are meeting on June 21 and he will attend the meeting. We are confident he will support the UPA candidate."
Sangma is the joint candidate of the AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal. Despite appeals from NCP leader Sharad Pawar, he is adamant on fighting the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement