Sangma`s political party gets new avatar
Shillong: Meghalaya`s main opposition Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) is all set to merge with the Manipur-based National People`s Party (NPP). Purno A Sangma, the defeated Presidential candidate, will lead the merged outfit, party sources said.
In the 60-member Assembly, the NCP has 14 legislators, including suspended NCP legislator Adolf Lu Hitler R Marak.
Marak and Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai will not be part of Sangma`s new political outfit.
Sangma`s daughter Agatha Sangma, a minister in the Congress-led UPA, will continue to be part of the NCP till 2014 to ensure that she does not lose her ministership at the Centre, Sangma`s aide said.
Sangma had earlier announced that he would launch a "tribal-centric" political party. Post-presidential poll debacle, Sangma`s announcement here that he would join the NPP came as a new twist to his political ambitions.
"NPP is a political party which has existed for many years, with its headquarters in Manipur, with the amendment of the NPP constitution, the party now is a national party with headquarters at New Delhi," Sangma explained to journalists.
The NPP drew a blank in the Manipur Assembly election this year. Its symbol is a book.
Sangma said the NPP will draw most of its members from the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), a party he founded along with Sharad Pawar and Tariq Anwar in 1999 after breaking away from the Congress.
The tribal Garo strong man from Meghalaya was forced give up primary membership of the NCP after Pawar refused to endorse his presidential candidature. He also gave up his membership of the 60-member Meghalaya Assembly.
However, thirteen NCP legislators in Meghalaya voted for Sangma in the Presidential Election, going against the party decision to support Pranab Mukherjee who is now the country`s President.
Hinting that thirteen NCP legislators would merge with the NPP Friday here in Meghalaya, Sangma said, "the anti-defection law does not attract disqualification of the NCP members if two-third of the NCP MLAs in Meghalaya merges with the NPP."
"Under the 10th Schedule of the Constitution, the law is very clear and two-third of the members can merge with another party," the former Lok Sabha Speaker said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’