Sanjay Dutt gets no reprieve from SC; will have to surrender in 2 days
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected a plea seeking further extension of time to actor Sanjay Dutt to surrender and undergo jail term in 1993 Mumbai case. The Bollywood superstar has to surrender by May 16.
Producers of two films featuring Dutt had approached the apex court with a plea to grant him some more time to surrender.
Rejecting their plea, the court said, "We had already said that no application for extension of time will be entertained."
Last week, the apex court had dismissed Sanjay Dutt`s plea seeking review of its judgement on his conviction and five-year jail term.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan, which had delivered on March 21 verdict, refused to review its verdict on Dutt’s plea.
53-year-old Dutt, who was granted four weeks more time to surrender to undergo remaining three-and-a-half-year jail term, will have to surrender before jail authorities on May 16.
The apex court had upheld his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case which it said was organised by underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and others with the involvement of Pakistan’s ISI.
However, the apex court had reduced to five years the six-year jail term awarded to Dutt by a designated TADA court in 2006 and ruled out his release on probation, saying the “nature” of his offence was “serious“.
Dutt was convicted by the TADA court for illegal possession a 9 mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle which were part of a consignment of weapons and explosives brought to India for coordinated serial blasts that killed 257 people and injured over 700 in 1993.
The bench also dismissed similar pleas filed by other six convicts in the case.
Other six convicts, who filed review petitions are Yusuf Mohsin Nulwalla, Khalil Ahmed Sayed Ali Nazir, Mohamed Dawood Yusuf Khan, Shaikh Asif Yusuf, Muzammil Umar Kadri and Mohd Ahmed Shaikh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states