Sanjay Dutt shifted to Yerwada Jail in Pune
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai/Pune: Actor Sanjay Duttwas shifted to Yerwada Jail in Pune from Mumbai’s Arthur Road jail early on Wednesday.
"Sanjay Dutt was escorted to Pune jail at about 4 am from Mumbai. There were three police vans that took him to the Pune jail," the official said.
He was secretly shifted to the Pune jail early in the morning due to security reasons and to avoid media glare, the official said.
The 53-year-old Bollywood superstar is serving three-and-a-half-year sentence after being convicted in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case. He has been allowed home-cooked meals and medicines from home for a month.
There was suspense over where Dutt will be kept as the Arthur Road jail is usually used to keep undertrials, while convicted criminals are shifted to the a central prison in Maharashtra.
Incidentally, Dutt had earlier appealed to surrender at Pune`s Yerawada jail citing threat to his life. But later withdrew his plea and accepted the court order.
Dutt had surrendered before TADA Court in keeping with the Supreme Court`s deadline to complete his remaining 42-month sentence. He has already spent 18 months in jail.
He was allowed to take with him copies of the Bhagwad Gita, Ramayan and Hanuman Chalisa besides his toiletries including toothpaste, shampoo, slippers, kurta, pyjama and mosquito repellants. However, TADA Judge G A Sanap rejected Dutt`s request for an electronic cigarette (Dutt is a chain smoker). Instead, the judge advised him to quit smoking.
Sanjay Dutt was convicted by the TADA court for illegally possessing 9 mm pistol and AK-56 rifle, which were part of a consignment of weapons and explosives brought to India for coordinated serial blasts that killed 257 people and injured over 700 in 1993. However, the apex court had reduced the sentence to five years from the original six-year jail term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion