Sanjay Dutt shifted to Yerwada Jail in Pune
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai/Pune: Actor Sanjay Duttwas shifted to Yerwada Jail in Pune from Mumbai’s Arthur Road jail early on Wednesday.
"Sanjay Dutt was escorted to Pune jail at about 4 am from Mumbai. There were three police vans that took him to the Pune jail," the official said.
He was secretly shifted to the Pune jail early in the morning due to security reasons and to avoid media glare, the official said.
The 53-year-old Bollywood superstar is serving three-and-a-half-year sentence after being convicted in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case. He has been allowed home-cooked meals and medicines from home for a month.
There was suspense over where Dutt will be kept as the Arthur Road jail is usually used to keep undertrials, while convicted criminals are shifted to the a central prison in Maharashtra.
Incidentally, Dutt had earlier appealed to surrender at Pune`s Yerawada jail citing threat to his life. But later withdrew his plea and accepted the court order.
Dutt had surrendered before TADA Court in keeping with the Supreme Court`s deadline to complete his remaining 42-month sentence. He has already spent 18 months in jail.
He was allowed to take with him copies of the Bhagwad Gita, Ramayan and Hanuman Chalisa besides his toiletries including toothpaste, shampoo, slippers, kurta, pyjama and mosquito repellants. However, TADA Judge G A Sanap rejected Dutt`s request for an electronic cigarette (Dutt is a chain smoker). Instead, the judge advised him to quit smoking.
Sanjay Dutt was convicted by the TADA court for illegally possessing 9 mm pistol and AK-56 rifle, which were part of a consignment of weapons and explosives brought to India for coordinated serial blasts that killed 257 people and injured over 700 in 1993. However, the apex court had reduced the sentence to five years from the original six-year jail term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information