Sanjay Dutt to spend a month in Mumbai`s Arthur Road jail
Mumbai: It seems actor Sanjay Dutt will stay in Mumbai`s Arthur Road Jail for now.
The actor, who was said to be shifted to Pune`s Yerawada Jail, would now stay at the Arthur Road jail for the next one month.
No reasons have yet been cited behind the change of plans.
Earlier, Dutt had appealed to surrender at Pune`s Yerawada jail citing threat to his life. But later withdrew his plea and accepted the court order.
The Arthur Road jail is usually used to keep undertrials, while convicted criminals are shifted to the a central prison in Maharashtra.
The actor, whose lawyer on Friday had made an oral plea to the court to shift Dutt from the Anda Cell after Dutt complained of suffocation, on Sunday refused to file an application to change his cell.
Dutt has been lodged in the high security prison at Arthur Road jail after his surrender on Thursday to serve his sentence in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
The 53-year-old actor was taken to the jail in central Mumbai after he surrendered before TADA Court in keeping with the Supreme Court`s deadline to complete his remaining 42-month sentence in the 1993 bomb blast case. He has already spent 18 months in jail.
The Supreme Court, in March this year, reduced Dutt`s sentence to five years from the six-year jail term awarded to him by TADA Court in 2006 for illegal possession of arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves