Sanjay Dutt to spend a month in Mumbai`s Arthur Road jail
Mumbai: It seems actor Sanjay Dutt will stay in Mumbai`s Arthur Road Jail for now.
The actor, who was said to be shifted to Pune`s Yerawada Jail, would now stay at the Arthur Road jail for the next one month.
No reasons have yet been cited behind the change of plans.
Earlier, Dutt had appealed to surrender at Pune`s Yerawada jail citing threat to his life. But later withdrew his plea and accepted the court order.
The Arthur Road jail is usually used to keep undertrials, while convicted criminals are shifted to the a central prison in Maharashtra.
The actor, whose lawyer on Friday had made an oral plea to the court to shift Dutt from the Anda Cell after Dutt complained of suffocation, on Sunday refused to file an application to change his cell.
Dutt has been lodged in the high security prison at Arthur Road jail after his surrender on Thursday to serve his sentence in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
The 53-year-old actor was taken to the jail in central Mumbai after he surrendered before TADA Court in keeping with the Supreme Court`s deadline to complete his remaining 42-month sentence in the 1993 bomb blast case. He has already spent 18 months in jail.
The Supreme Court, in March this year, reduced Dutt`s sentence to five years from the six-year jail term awarded to him by TADA Court in 2006 for illegal possession of arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics