Sanjeeva Reddy, re-elected as President of INTUC
Kochi: G Sanjeeva Reddy was on Monday re-elected
as president of Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC)
for another four-year term at its national conference, which
concluded here on Monday.
This was the fourth consecutive term that Reddy was being
chosen as president of the INTUC, R Chandrasekharan, its
Kerala unit president told reporters here.
Meanwhile, INTUC, in a resolution, demanded that the
government should set up a `labour sector corporation` which
can take over the `sick` public sector industrial units and
rehabilitate a large number of workers being affected by them.
The resolution also opposed the cap on bonus by amending
the Bonus Act of 1965 and said there was a need to improve the
existing social security laws.
INTUC would also submit a memorandum to Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh highlighting issues related to price rise,
disinvestment of PSUs, implementation of labour laws and
formulation of a new economic policy, Reddy said.
He said a `Central Trade union Co-ordination Committee
was formed comprising of various trade unions to put pressure
on the Centre to look into the demands of working class.
The organisation along with various trade unions would
stage a dharna before Parliament on October 28 to highlight
problems faced by working class, he said.
Reddy said no employers should be allowed to employ more
than 10 per cent of total workers on contract basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins