Sanjeeva Reddy was a role model, says Pranab Mukherjee
Hyderabad: President Pranab Mukherjee Monday paid rich tributes to former president Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy, describing him as a role model in government and politics.
Addressing the concluding programme of the birth centenary celebrations of the late leader at Anantapur, the president said Sanjeeva Reddy combined three good qualities of a party leader, an administrator and a parliamentarian.
"He was true son of the soil and a farmer till his last breath," Mukherjee said and recalled his exceptional leadership qualities.
Sanjeeva Reddy, who served as the president between 1977 and 1982, died in 1996 at the age of 83.
Mukherjee pointed out that Sanjeeva Reddy had many records to his credit. He was the youngest president and the only person who served as a chief minister, the Lok Sabha speaker, union minister and the president.
Born in a farmer`s family, Sanjeeva Reddy was the first chief minister of united Andhra Pradesh. He served as the chief minister twice, became the speaker the year he was elected to the Lok Sabha and held the post twice.
Sanjeeva Reddy set high standards by resigning from the Congress party as soon as he was elected the speaker. It was during his tenure that for the first time a man was imprisoned for contempt of the house for raising slogans and throwing pamphlets from visitors` gallery, noted Mukherjee.
The president said Sanjeeva Reddy, inspired by Mahatma Gandhi`s leadership, joined the freedom struggle at the young age of 16. During 1940 and 1945, he was imprisoned many times, including during the Quit India Movement.
Describing Sanjeeva Reddy as the main architect of modern-day Andhra Pradesh, Mukherjee said as the first chief minister of united Andhra Pradesh in 1956, he found solution to many problems which arose following Telangana`s merger with then Andhra state.
Sanjeeva Reddy played a key role in the development and modernization of the state and progress of its people. It was during his tenure that major irrigation projects like Nagarjunasagar, Srisailam, Sriramsagar and Vamsadhara were built.
Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan, Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, some state ministers and senior officials were present.
Earlier, the president, who is on a southern sojourn, left Hyderabad by a special aircraft along with the governor and the chief minister. After landing at Puttaparthi, they flew to Anantapur town by helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked