Sanjiv Bhatt moves Guj HC to summon Modi before Go
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt thursday moved Gujarat High Court with the prayer to direct Justice G T Nanavati Commission of Enquiry looking into the riots cases to summon Chief Minister Narendra Modi before it.
In a Public Interest Litigation filed along with People`s Union of Civil Liberty, Bhatt has also demanded that the probe panel should be directed to submit its final report, not to the Chief Minister of the State but to the office of state Governor.
The hearing on the PIL commenced thursday before the division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala.
Advocate Yusuf Muchhala who made submissions on behalf of the petitioners today will continue his submission on the next date of hearing scheduled for October 5.
The Nanavati Commission was formed by the state government following the Godhra riots in February 2002. The state government, in 2004, had expanded the terms of reference of the probe panel which included the role and conduct of the then Chief Minister and other ministers.
Citing this expanded terms of reference, petitioners have claimed that, "....Commission has to enquire into the role and function of the Chief Minister in view of the terms of reference constituting the Commission."
"The role of the Chief Minister, both personal and constitutional, could only be properly and with any sort of veracity come on the record of the Commission and hence his presence is a must," petition reads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!