Sanskrit was developed to express scientific ideas: Katju
New Delhi: PCI chief Markandey Katju Thursday termed Sanskrit as a language of precision which was developed by people who needed a powerful vehicle through which they could express scientific ideas.
Speaking at an event Sanskrit heritage caravan here, he said as languages changed with time Sanskrit also underwent changes till Panini through his classic work of grammar brought a universal set of rules to it.
Katju said the Sanskrit alphabet was accurately studied and scientifically arrayed, something which the European languages did not have. German Ambassador Michael Steiner, who was also present, however, told Katju that he would like to do some study and get back on the subject.
Speaking further, Katju said while ancient Indian mathematicians discovered zero and had knowledge of advanced mathematics, the Romans were uncomfortable with numbers above one thousand.
He said that ancient Indian surgeon Sushruta had made discoveries about concepts which the Western world came to know about only recently.
According to Katju, while India had a past where it was the teacher to the rest, now it a lot to learn from the West.
"The knowledge of Sanskrit gives us an inspiration that we are not a nation of fools," he said, adding it was also true that a majority of people in India were fools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH