Sarabjit meets his sister at Kot Lakhpat Jail
Lahore: Indian national Sarabjit Singh, on death row in Pakistan, had an emotional reunion with his sister Dalbir Kaur after three years in a prison in this eastern Pakistani city on Thursday.
Kaur, who arrived in Pakistan on June 06 to meet Sarabjit and lobby the Pakistan government for his release, said her brother was affected by "severe tension" and spent most of his time worrying about his fate.
"My wounds were reopened after meeting my brother. He cried and cried a lot, asking me to help prove his innocence," Kaur said after meeting Sarabjit at Kot Lakhpat Jail here.
"My brother told me that he is under severe tension because he spends most of his time thinking that he may not get freedom. You see, it`s not good to live in solitary confinement. Seeing him in anxiety has made me worried," Kaur said.
She said her worries about his brother had increased because he looked very tense.
"You see, tension eats you up. I cried too and my body got cold but it happens in such cases," she said.
Sarabjit has been on death row since he was convicted for alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in 1990 that killed 14 people.
The verdict was upheld by the Lahore high court and the Supreme Court.
His family insists he was wrongly convicted for the bombings.
Though Sarabjit was set to be hanged in 2008, Pakistani authorities put off his execution indefinitely after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani intervened in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof