Sarabjit Singh accuses Pak jail authorities of slow poisoning
Lahore: Indian death row convict Sarabjit Singh, who has been languishing in Pakistani jails for years, has claimed in a letter that he is being slow-poisoned and mentally tortured by authorities of Kot Lakhpat jail.
Forty-nine year old Sarabjit, a resident of Bhikhiwind village of Amritsar, had illegally crossed the Indian border and was arrested on the charge of orchestrating four bomb blasts in Faisalabad, Multan and Lahore on July 29, 1990 in an FIR registered against one Manjeet Singh. He was consequently sentenced to death.
Singh, in the letter addressed to his sister Dalbir Kaur, and his daughters Sonia Gandi and Ponam Kaur, said that owing to constant harassment in jail his health has deteriorated severely, reports The Express Tribune.
The letter was delivered through Singh`s counsel Advocate Awais Sheikh when he visited India from August 14 to August 29.
Sheikh said Singh accused the jail officials of "conspiring to drive him insane" and ridiculing him when he asked them for painkillers.
Deputy Superintendent of Kot Lakhpat jail, Ghulam Sarwar has termed Singh`s allegations as baseless. He said all prisoners in the jail were given the same treatment and the same kind of food. He said such baseless allegations are propaganda against Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'