Sarabjit Singh accuses Pak jail authorities of slow poisoning
Lahore: Indian death row convict Sarabjit Singh, who has been languishing in Pakistani jails for years, has claimed in a letter that he is being slow-poisoned and mentally tortured by authorities of Kot Lakhpat jail.
Forty-nine year old Sarabjit, a resident of Bhikhiwind village of Amritsar, had illegally crossed the Indian border and was arrested on the charge of orchestrating four bomb blasts in Faisalabad, Multan and Lahore on July 29, 1990 in an FIR registered against one Manjeet Singh. He was consequently sentenced to death.
Singh, in the letter addressed to his sister Dalbir Kaur, and his daughters Sonia Gandi and Ponam Kaur, said that owing to constant harassment in jail his health has deteriorated severely, reports The Express Tribune.
The letter was delivered through Singh`s counsel Advocate Awais Sheikh when he visited India from August 14 to August 29.
Sheikh said Singh accused the jail officials of "conspiring to drive him insane" and ridiculing him when he asked them for painkillers.
Deputy Superintendent of Kot Lakhpat jail, Ghulam Sarwar has termed Singh`s allegations as baseless. He said all prisoners in the jail were given the same treatment and the same kind of food. He said such baseless allegations are propaganda against Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof