Sarabjit Singh`s death has angered the nation: BJP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The BJP on Thursday hit out at the government for having failed to ensure Sarabjit Singh`s safety, and demanded that the Centre should put pressure on Pakistan to hand over his body to his family.
The Indian government has been a mute spectator to the death of Indian citizen Sarabjit Singh, said BJP`s Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
Naqvi said Sarabjit`s death has angered the country and that it was time to take some strict action against Pakistan.
"This is condemnable. This is a shameful incident. This is a heinous crime. They have killed an Indian citizen. Today country is angry and sad. Nothing was done by the government even when it knew everything. We expect that at least now the Indian government will take some strict action," Naqvi was quoted as saying by a report.
Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister and Shiromani Akali Dal chief Parkash Singh Badal demanded an independent probe by an international agency into the circumstances leading to death of Sarabjit Singh in Pakistan.
Badal also criticised the Centre`s approach towards the matter.
"Government of India too dithered and dilly-dallied in reacting to the attack on him (Sarabjit). Was enough done to save him? Steps by government of India to secure his release earlier were weak and totally inadequate," he said in a statement.
Badal asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take highest diplomatic initiative to bring Sarabjit`s body back to Punjab.
He said the Punjab government will give a state funeral to Sarabjit.
Demanding that his body be brought back to India for a "dignified funeral", Deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal promised government jobs to Sarabjit`s dependents.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday