Sarabjit Singh`s death: Sukhbir Singh Badal flays Centre
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Thursday held the UPA government responsible for Sarabjit Singh`s death in Pakistan and said "lethargic approach" of Congress was behind the "murder" of Indian citizens in Pakistan.
Demanding an independent enquiry in the "cold blooded murder" of Sarabjit in a Lahore jail, Badal said, an enquiry by the International Committee of Red Cross was imperative to expose the human rights violations in this case.
"India should pressurise Pakistan for an independent probe into Sarabjit`s death. The way he was butchered in the jail is a direct violation of human rights. International Committee of the Red Cross should be involved," he said.
Despite repeatedly raising this issue for the past several years, the UPA government did not pay any heed, while the family of Sarabjit fought at their own levels to save him.
Meanwhile, expressing grief over the tragic death of Sarabjit Singh, former Chief Minister Amarinder Singh said, it was a cold blooded murder of an Indian prisoner.
"Just because he had been sentenced to death, did not give anyone the licence to lynch him and government of Pakistan failed in its duty to protect him," he said in a strongly worded statement here.
It is more than clear that the brutal attack on Sarabjit was properly planned and executed after the authorities there, sanctioned it, he said.
"It is an authorised cold blooded murder, which must be condemned by one and all", Amarinder said adding, even condemned prisoners are entitled to protection, which was unfortunately denied to Sarabjit.
It reflected poorly not only on the government of Pakistan, but its judiciary as well since Sarabjit was supposed to be in the custody of the judiciary, which had convicted and sentenced him to death, Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...