Sarabjit to submit fresh mercy plea to Pak Prez
Lahore: Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who is accused of being involved in a string of bombings in Pakistani cities in 1990, will submit a fresh mercy petition to President Asif Ali Zardari.
According to reports, Sarabjit`s lawyer, Awais Sheikh, met him at the Kot Lakhpat Jail and got his signatures on the fresh mercy petition.
In the letter addressed to the Pakistan President, Sarabjit again sought mercy while referring to his recent meeting with former External Affairs Minister SM Krishna.
Sarbajit said, "After the release of (Pakistani prisoner) Pervez Khalil Chisti by the Indian government on humanitarian grounds, the people of India, especially my family, have pinned hopes on my release on the same ground."
"I have been languishing in jail for the last 22 years. I beg you to revoke the capital punishment and let me spend the rest of my life with my family," Sarabjit said.
Such an act of forgiveness is liked in Islam and God would reward the President for such an act, he said.
Sheikh said he had conveyed to Sarbajit messages from his family and told him in detail of his recent visit to India.
"Some eatables and other goods for daily use, including Pakistan Rs 8,000 were delivered to him," he said.
The lawyer said he got another letter addressed to the people and the government of India signed by Sarabjit.
This letter thanks the people for showing concern at his health and for urging the Pakistan government to provide him proper treatment.
His family claims that he is a farmer and the victim of mistaken identity.
Sarabjit`s relatives said he strayed into Pakistan in an inebriated state three months after the bombings.
Following the intervention of the Pakistan People`s Party-led government, Sarabjit`s execution was put off indefinitely.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'