Sarabjit’s family protests in Delhi
New Delhi: Shocked by the U-turn by Pakistan on the release of Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner on a death row in Pakistan on terrorism charges, his family is holding a protest at Jantar Mantar on Thursday to seek his release.
Led by Sarabjit`s sister, Dalbir Kaur, who has led the campaign for his release in the last few years, the family is camping at Jantar Mantar demanding action in the case. Many of them were seen carrying placards with slogans demanding Sarabjit’s release and also those which target Pakistan for u-turn on his case.
Yesterday, family members and other supporters had taken out a silent candle-light protest in Jalandhar, 150 km from Chandigarh, to urge the Pakistan government to release him.
Pakistan had done a flip-flop late Tuesday after earlier announcing that Sarabjit`s death sentence had been commuted by President Asif Ali Zardari and that he would be released.
Later, the presidential spokesman said that instead of Sarabjit, another Indian prisoner, Surjeet Singh, who has been languishing in Pakistani jails for over three decades on spying charges, would be released.
Sarabjit`s family claims that he had inadvertently crossed in Pakistan in an inebriated state August 1990 and was arrested there. He hails from Bhikhiwind village along the India-Pakistan border, 280 km from Chandigarh.
He was later identified as Manjit Singh and accused of planting two bombs in Pakistan which claimed 14 lives. He was sentenced to death by Pakistani courts even though his family here claimed that he was completely innocent.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed