Sarabjit`s sister hopeful of relief from Zardari
Jaipur: Sister of Sarabjit Singh, an Indian on death row in Pakistan following his conviction for alleged involvement in bomb attacks, Friday said she will appeal to Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari during his Rajasthan visit to release his brother on humanitarian ground.
Dalbir Kaur said she will try to meet Zardari during his private visit to Ajmer dargah on April 8.
"Mercy petition of my brother is pending with Zardari. I would urge from him to release my brother. Since he will be visiting Ajmer dargah on Sunday, I am also going there with a wish of my brother`s release which is in the hands of Zardari," she told reporters here.
She said the case of his brother was that of a mistaken identity and the Pakistani government should release him as he has already spent 22 years in jail.
Sarabjit has been on death row since he was convicted for alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in 1990 that killed 14 people. His family insists he was wrongly convicted for the bombings. Though Sarabjit was set to be hanged in 2008, Pakistani authorities put off his execution indefinitely after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani intervened in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM