Sarabjit`s sister prays at Dargah Sharif
Ajmer: A day before Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari arrives here for pilgrimage, the sister of Sarabjit Singh, an Indian national on the death row in Pakistan, offered prayers at the Dargah Sharif for his release.
"Blessings of Khawajaji brings president of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari to the dargah Sharif and I am hopeful and confident that my brother jailed in Pakistan for the last 22 years will also be fortunate to have the same blessings of Khawajaji," Singh`s sister Dalbir Kaur said.
Sarabjit`s daughter Swapandeep was also present on the occasion.
Kaur said Benazir Bhutto had visited dargah and prayed for the release of her husband Zardari years ago and then when he was released, they had come here to thank Khawajaji.
"Now I also pray from Khawajaji to get my brother released from a Pakistan jail where he is lodged for the last 22 years and I will also come here again with my brother," Kaur told a news agency here after offering a `chadar` at the shrine.
Since Zardari has to take a decision on the mercy plea of Sarabjit, I came here as I got the news that the President of Pakistan is coming to the dargah where prayers of everyone are heard", Kaur said.
She said she would fight for her brother till he is released by the Pakistan authorities.
"My brother`s case is of mistaken identity and he is languishing in jail for the last 22 years. His lawyer had filed a mercy petition before the President of Pakistan in 2005 but no decision has been taken so far," she said.
The first mercy petition was filed in 2005 and "then our lawyer filed a fresh petition before Zardari some time back," Kaur said.
Kaur and Swapandeep will stay in the holy city tomorrow when Zardari is scheduled to offer prayers at the dargah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof