Sarabjit`s sister to meet PM, Sonia
Mumbai: After securing the support of Bollywood star Salman Khan for the release of Sarabjit Singh, Indian prisoner who is on the death row in Pakistan, his family now plans to knock at the doors of the Prime Minister and also Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
The sister of Sarabjit, languishing in a Pakistan jail for the last 20 years on terror charges, has thanked Salman, who has launched an online petition to help free the Indian.
The `Dabangg` star plans to hand over the petition to Pakistan Government.
"I met him (Salman) yesterday as soon as I came here without even taking appointment. He met us for two hours and assured us that he is with us and he will not rest till Sarabjit is not released," Sarabjit`s sister Dalbir Kaur told reporters here today.
"He also spoke about human rights activists who he is in touch with. He seems to have studied the case thoroughly. He said so many things without me even telling anything. He is seriously working for the cause," she said.
The 46-year-old actor today renewed his appeal and sought support for his cause. "I request to the people of India and Pakistan to support me to help free Sarabjit."
Dalbir also intends to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and her MP-son Rahul to drum up support for her brother`s freedom.
"I will meet Rahul, Sonia Gandhi and PM as well. A committee should be formed and sent to Pakistan`s jails to tell the entire world about the situation there," she said.
Dalbir was critical of Surjeet Singh, an Indian prisoner who was last month released from Pakistani jail after three decades, for his reported comment that he was a "spy".
"Surjeet Singh`s statement will create hurdles not only for Sarabjit`s release but also for other Indians languishing in Pakistan jails," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened