Sarabjit`s sister tries to meet Gilani
Chandigarh: Dalbir Kaur, the sister of
Sarabjit Singh who is on a death row in a Pakistan prison,
today made a vain bid to meet Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf
Raza Gilani during his stay at a hotel here.
As Gilani along with his entourage entered the Hotel
Taj located in the heart of the city, Dalbir Kaur along with
Sarabit`s daughter Swapandeep Kaur and some other persons
carrying a placard with a photograph of Sarabjit made efforts
to have an audience with Gilani.
However, the water tight security arrangements at the
hotel and around it prevented Dalbir Kaur from meeting Gilani.
"We can`t allow her to meet Gilani till we get some
clearance from the visiting guest side," a police officer
Kaur said she had high hopes that the Pakistan
government would pardon her brother as he was a case of
"Had I got a chance to meet Gilani I would have prayed
before him to take some steps from my borther`s release as he
was not involved in the Karachi bomb blast case about two
decades back," she said.
"I am also trying to contact the lawyer who had filed
a mercy plea for my brother," she said.
Despite several attempts, Dalbir Kaur could not get
any positive response.
Sarabjit Singh is on a death row in a prison in Lahore
following his conviction for alleged involvement in bomb
attacks in 1990.
The Lahore High Court awarded him death sentence in
January 2003 in four different cases and the Pakistan apex
court upheld the verdict. Pakistani authorities had
indefinitely put off Sarabjit`s hanging following the
intervention of Prime Minister Gilani in 2008.
Sarabjit`s family says he had mistakenly crossed the
border in an inebriated condition and was wrongly accused of
being involved in the attacks.
Gilani, after a brief stay at Hotel Taj along with his
other Pakistani colleagues, headed straight for the Punjab
Cricket Stadium at Mohali to witness the high voltage World
Cup Cricket semifinal between India and Pakistan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report