Sarabjit`s skull injury led to his death: Autopsy
Lahore: Indian national Sarabjit Singh, who died after a brutal assault by fellow inmates in a Pakistani jail, suffered massive internal bleeding because of a head injury, according to an initial autopsy report.
"It seems that a 5 cm-wide injury on the top of Sarabjit Singh`s skull contributed to his death," said one of the members of the medical board that conducted the autopsy. The member, who did not want to be identified, said the board found some minor injuries on Sarabjit`s face, neck and arms.
The board had sent samples of some organs, including the spleen, kidneys, liver, stomach and parts of the brain, for forensic analysis.
Sarabjit, 49, died early on Thursday at Jinnah Hospital in Lahore, six days after he was brutally assaulted by prisoners inside his barrack at Kot Lakhpat Jail. An official statement said the cause of death was cardiac arrest.
Officials said a detailed report on the autopsy would be issued after results of tests were received from the Punjab Forensic Science Agency.
Sarabjit was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bombings in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990. His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former President Pervez Musharraf.
His family says he was the victim of mistaken identity and had mistakenly strayed across the border in an inebriated state. Pakistani rights activists too had called for the reopening of his case. The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan yesterday said Sarabjit could not have been fatally attacked in jail "without the knowledge and support of prison guards and the authorities".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened