Sarabjit’s survival chances ‘slim’, family visits him at Lahore hospital
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Family members of Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who is in coma after a murderous attack on him by fellow prisoners in a Lahore jail, met him on Sunday in the hospital where he is admitted.
Earlier, the family members were granted 15-day visa by Pakistan authorities.
Doctors treating Sarabjit at Jinnah Hospital has said that his condition is critical and that the chances of his survival are slim.
Sarabjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur said, "Sarabjit Singh`s face is swollen, he was beaten by iron rods... He is unconscious, in a very critical condition... I was in hospital for 10 minutes and spoke to the doctors,"
"I plead to our government with folded hands. Please take him to any country for his treatment. Don`t waste time, save him. So far, when I tried to fight for his freedom, I only got hollow assurances," she said.
"He is completely unconscious. He does not know anything. He is on ventilator," Dalbir Kaur said, adding that she could feel his breath and heart beat.
Indian High Commission officials today visited Sarabjit for the second time in as many days after permission was granted by Pakistani authorities following an initial denial.
"The officials visited Singh in the Lahore hospital. His condition remains unchanged," a spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
Sources said his skull was fractured after being hit on the head with bricks and his face and torso cut with weapons fashioned from spoons and pieces of ghee tins during the brutal assault on Friday when he was attacked by at least six other prisoners within his barrack at Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The doctors found a haematoma (a localised collection of blood outside vessels) larger than 3 cm, indicating that he was in need of surgical intervention, sources said.
Another source quoted doctors as saying that Sarabjit`s condition was measured as 5 on the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS), which indicates the level of damage to a person`s central nervous system.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what