Saran tightlipped on reported differences with Ramesh
New Delhi: `The climate was just right
for me to leave` -- this is what Shyam Saran had to say about
his quitting as Prime Minister`s special envoy on Climate
Saran was replying to a question on whether he had any
difference with government which led to his sudden departure.
"The only thing that I can say is that the climate was
right for me to leave," he quipped at a summit co-organised by
The Wall Street Journal and CII.
The former Foreign Secretary, who later was appointed
as special envoy to Prime Minister on Climate Change, stepped
down from the post on February 19 reportedly after having
differences with Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh. However,
he continued in office till March 14.
Saran was initially appointed special envoy during
negotiations relating to the Indo-US nuclear deal in August
2006 after he retired from the Foreign Secretary`s post.
His role was expanded in April 2008 to cover climate
diplomacy as well to mobilise support for India`s stand on
climate change issues ahead of the December 2009 Copenhagen
Saran and Ramesh were at loggerheads on several issues
including the continuation of Kyoto Protocol.
Saran who had served as Foreign Secretary from July
2004 to September 2006 played a key role in the India-US civil
nuclear deal and drafting of several of the eight missions
under India`s National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC)
to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
He has also served as Indian Ambassador to Nepal,
Indonesia and Myanmar and High Commissioner to Mauritius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe