Saran wraps up Nepal visit with prayers at Pashupatinath
Kathmandu: India`s special envoy Shyam Saran on Friday offered prayers at the famous Pashupatinath temple here before wrapping up his three-day visit to Nepal, aimed at to help form a consensus government amidst political crisis.
Saran met Indian priests and enquired about the situation at the temple, which was stormed by the Maoists a couple of years ago.
Saran assured the temple authorities of India`s assistance for the renovation and construction work at the temple.
"We requested Saran for India`s help to carry out renovation work and to build a dharamshala for the pilgrims and he took positive note of it," Shushil Kumar Nahata, chief of the Pashupati Area Development Trust entrusted for the management of the temple affairs, told a news agency.
Saran had hectic parleys with top leaders of Nepal in an effort to defuse political tension during his visit ahead of the fourth round of voting to elect a new prime minister.
Saran met President Ram Baran Yadav, caretaker Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal, former prime ministers Surya Bahadur Thapa and Sher Bahadur Deuba, Maoist chairman
Prachanda, Nepali Congress acting president Sushil Koirala, NC`s prime ministerial candidate Ramchandra Poudyal and CPN-UML president Jhal Nath Khanal.
During his discussions with the leaders here, Saran made it clear that his visit was not intended to interfere in Nepal`s affairs and India was not going to recommend any Prime
Minister. It is the matter to be decided by the Nepalese political parties, he had said.
Saran said that he was here to help in resolving the political crisis and to forge consensus among political parties as it is also India`s interests to see political stability and economic progress of Nepal.
India is considered an influential player in Nepal, which also shares its border with another Asian giant China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...