Saran wraps up Nepal visit with prayers at Pashupatinath
Kathmandu: India`s special envoy Shyam Saran on Friday offered prayers at the famous Pashupatinath temple here before wrapping up his three-day visit to Nepal, aimed at to help form a consensus government amidst political crisis.
Saran met Indian priests and enquired about the situation at the temple, which was stormed by the Maoists a couple of years ago.
Saran assured the temple authorities of India`s assistance for the renovation and construction work at the temple.
"We requested Saran for India`s help to carry out renovation work and to build a dharamshala for the pilgrims and he took positive note of it," Shushil Kumar Nahata, chief of the Pashupati Area Development Trust entrusted for the management of the temple affairs, told a news agency.
Saran had hectic parleys with top leaders of Nepal in an effort to defuse political tension during his visit ahead of the fourth round of voting to elect a new prime minister.
Saran met President Ram Baran Yadav, caretaker Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal, former prime ministers Surya Bahadur Thapa and Sher Bahadur Deuba, Maoist chairman
Prachanda, Nepali Congress acting president Sushil Koirala, NC`s prime ministerial candidate Ramchandra Poudyal and CPN-UML president Jhal Nath Khanal.
During his discussions with the leaders here, Saran made it clear that his visit was not intended to interfere in Nepal`s affairs and India was not going to recommend any Prime
Minister. It is the matter to be decided by the Nepalese political parties, he had said.
Saran said that he was here to help in resolving the political crisis and to forge consensus among political parties as it is also India`s interests to see political stability and economic progress of Nepal.
India is considered an influential player in Nepal, which also shares its border with another Asian giant China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre