Sariska tiger was poisoned: Report
Jaipur/New Delhi: The mysterious death of a tiger relocated from the Ranthambhore tiger reserve to Sariska forest reserve has taken a new turn after reports claimed Wednesday that it died of poisoning.
The revelation was made after a post-mortem was conducted; the viscera is said to have contained evidence of poison.
Concerned over the death of the tiger, Forest and Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh will undertake a day-long tour visit to the reserve today to see the steps taken by the state government for protection of the remaining tigers.
Meanwhile, the Rajasthan government has suspended two officials of Sariska reserve forest namely District Forest Officer B Praveen and Assistant Conservator of Forest Mukesh Saini on the charge of dereliction of duty even as government ruled out stopping tiger translocating programme despite coming in for criticism from some wildlife experts.
The death of the tiger, which was the first big cat to be moved to Sariska park two years ago as a part of the translocation process of the government, has come as a major set back for the species revival plan.
Since 2008, five tigers have been relocated to Sariska which had lost its entire native species to poachers during 2005-06.
However, state forest minister Ram Laal Jaat has rejected criticism by some wildlife experts that the translocation process was to blame for the death of the big cat in Sariska and said the process would go on.
"This tragic episode (death of the tiger in Sariska) will not stop our ongoing trans-location programme which have been scientifically prepared by the best of experts from research institutes such as Wildlife Institute of India (WII). We will go ahead with it as planned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly