Sariska tiger was poisoned: Report
Jaipur/New Delhi: The mysterious death of a tiger relocated from the Ranthambhore tiger reserve to Sariska forest reserve has taken a new turn after reports claimed Wednesday that it died of poisoning.
The revelation was made after a post-mortem was conducted; the viscera is said to have contained evidence of poison.
Concerned over the death of the tiger, Forest and Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh will undertake a day-long tour visit to the reserve today to see the steps taken by the state government for protection of the remaining tigers.
Meanwhile, the Rajasthan government has suspended two officials of Sariska reserve forest namely District Forest Officer B Praveen and Assistant Conservator of Forest Mukesh Saini on the charge of dereliction of duty even as government ruled out stopping tiger translocating programme despite coming in for criticism from some wildlife experts.
The death of the tiger, which was the first big cat to be moved to Sariska park two years ago as a part of the translocation process of the government, has come as a major set back for the species revival plan.
Since 2008, five tigers have been relocated to Sariska which had lost its entire native species to poachers during 2005-06.
However, state forest minister Ram Laal Jaat has rejected criticism by some wildlife experts that the translocation process was to blame for the death of the big cat in Sariska and said the process would go on.
"This tragic episode (death of the tiger in Sariska) will not stop our ongoing trans-location programme which have been scientifically prepared by the best of experts from research institutes such as Wildlife Institute of India (WII). We will go ahead with it as planned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth