Sathya Sai Baba stable, remains on ventilator support

Spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba is showing signs of improvement doctors attending on him said.

Updated: Apr 06, 2011, 08:50 AM IST

Puttaparthi (Andhra Pradesh): Spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba`s condition is stable but he remains on ventilator to support his respiratory function, doctors treating him here said on Tuesday.

According to a medical bulletin issued by Sathya Sai Super Speciality Hospital Tuesday evening, Sai Baba`s condition is better than what it was Monday.

The bulletin added that Baba remained on ventilator to support his respiratory function and on the CRRT (continuous renal replacement therapy) system to assist his kidney function.

"All other vital parameters, including blood circulation and pulse rate, are nearly normal and satisfactory. He is under constant watch of the panel of doctors treating him," hospital director AN Safaya said in the video bulletin.
He said all precautions were being taken to prevent lung infection.

"It is for this reason we are not allowing anybody in the ICU (intensive care unit)," he said and appealed to his devotees not to rush to Puttaparthi. He hoped Baba would recover soon.

A team of 12 doctors, including physicians from England, New Delhi and Bangalore, is treating Baba.

Earlier, the doctors said Sathya Sai Baba was showing signs of improvement and all vital organs, except his kidneys, were functioning normally.

Andhra Pradesh Minister for Major Industries J. Geeta Reddy, who has been camping in Puttaparthi, in Anantapur district bordering Karnataka, for the past three days, said Sathya Sai Baba was opening his eyes and moving his hands.

"He is showing signs of recovery. The doctors are satisfied with the progress. We hope and pray that Baba returns amidst his devotees," said Geeta Reddy, herself a physician and an ardent devotee.
As anxious devotees flocked to this town, authorities banned gathering of more than five people to prevent any trouble.

Hundreds of policemen were also deployed outside the hospital to keep the people from milling around.

The road leading to the hospital has been sealed off to meet any eventuality as large numbers of devotees continued to pour in from different parts of Andhra Pradesh and other states.

In Hyderabad, Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy held a meeting with his cabinet colleagues and senior officials to review the situation.

He sent Health Secretary P.V. Ramesh and another senior official to Puttaparthi to help in providing all necessary medical assistance to the spiritual guru.

Doctors had said Monday evening that his condition was critical.

As the restive crowd of devotees tried to barge into the hospital and attacked vehicles of some senior officials, the hospital issued a statement late in the night to pacify them.

The 85-year-old spiritual leader was admitted to the hospital March 28 with pneumonia and breathing problems. The doctors also implanted a pacemaker to regulate his heartbeat.

Sathya Sai Baba, whose real name is Sathyanarayana Raju, had claimed in 1940 that he was an avatar, an incarnation, of god.

He became famous with his miracles but for the last two decades has been focusing on social and charitable work in India and abroad.