Saudi authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
Dubai: In fresh trouble for Indians in Saudi Arabia, the authorities there have refused to accept new passports issued by Indian diplomatic missions.
Saudi authorities have declined to transfer data from old passports to the new ones submitted by Indian expatriates for updating, saying they have not received any official information on modification.
In the old passport, the passport holder`s photo was placed on the second page, whereas the newly issued passports have photos placed on the third page.
Though the troubled Indian expatriates have obtained a letter from the Indian Consulate confirming the validity of the new passport, Saudi officials are insisting on receiving confirmation through the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Arab News reported today.
Passport holders are legal residents of the Kingdom with valid residency permits who have approached Passport Department to transfer data from their old passports to their new ones, commonly known as "naql maalumat".
Yesterday, the Saudi passport office in Jeddah refused to update approximately 200 Indian passports for this reason.
Expatriates rushed to the consular service`s outsourcing agency and have lodged a formal complaint.
Indians in Saudi Arabia are currently facing trouble amid concerns over the `Nitaqat` labour law that makes it mandatory for local companies to hire one Saudi national for every 10 migrant workers.
Indian Embassy in Riyadh has so far received about 60,000 applications seeking issuance of Emergency Certificates to leave Saudi Arabia over fear of possible job losses after the new labour law comes into effect.
The Kingdom this month announced a three-month grace period for Indian workers, who have travelled to the country illegally, to regularise their visa status, get new jobs or to return home if they register voluntarily with the Saudi authorities during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'