Save Rajiv`s assassins, Karuna appeals to Sonia
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Friday
appealed to Congress President Sonia Gandhi to intervene and
save the lives of three death row convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi
assassination case, saying appeals by Tamils across the world
needed to be considered in the spirit of "forget and forgive".
In a statement here tonight, he said, "Congress which is
heading the central government and its leader Sonia Gandhi
should come forward to save the three lives."
Noting that only a few days were left for taking a
decision on the issue, he said both the Centre and the Tamil
Nadu governments should take all efforts and commute the death
sentence of Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan, whose clemency
petitions were rejected by President Pratibha Patil recently.
"There is an emergent need for us to take all possibles
efforts to save their lives on humanitarian ground and (in)
the spirit of forget and forgive," he said.
This was necessary in view of "appeals made by Tamils the
world over" and also considering the fact that the three had
already spent 20 years in prison, he added.
Earlier in the day, the three convicts appealed to Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa to intervene in the matter amid reports
that Vellore prison authorities have fixed September 9 for
Leaders of various political parties, including Vaiko of
MDMK and Thol Tirumavalavan of VCK, have appealed for
commuting the death sentence of the three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok