Save Rajiv`s assassins, Karuna appeals to Sonia
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Friday
appealed to Congress President Sonia Gandhi to intervene and
save the lives of three death row convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi
assassination case, saying appeals by Tamils across the world
needed to be considered in the spirit of "forget and forgive".
In a statement here tonight, he said, "Congress which is
heading the central government and its leader Sonia Gandhi
should come forward to save the three lives."
Noting that only a few days were left for taking a
decision on the issue, he said both the Centre and the Tamil
Nadu governments should take all efforts and commute the death
sentence of Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan, whose clemency
petitions were rejected by President Pratibha Patil recently.
"There is an emergent need for us to take all possibles
efforts to save their lives on humanitarian ground and (in)
the spirit of forget and forgive," he said.
This was necessary in view of "appeals made by Tamils the
world over" and also considering the fact that the three had
already spent 20 years in prison, he added.
Earlier in the day, the three convicts appealed to Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa to intervene in the matter amid reports
that Vellore prison authorities have fixed September 9 for
Leaders of various political parties, including Vaiko of
MDMK and Thol Tirumavalavan of VCK, have appealed for
commuting the death sentence of the three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand