Save Yamuna activists threaten jail bharo agitation
New Delhi: Scores of people, who had started a march-to-Parliament from Vrindavan a week back seeking urgent steps to "save" Yamuna, will reach the national capital on March 10, NGOs associated with the agitation said today.
At a press conference, representatives of NGOs Yamuna Raksha Dal and Kisan Union said activists will resort to `jail bharo` agitation if the government does not accept their demands.
"From common man to farmers to religious devotees to all those who are concerned about the river Yamuna will assemble in Delhi on March 10 and proceed to Parliament," Yamuna Raksha Dal president Vijender Gupta said.
"Our first demand to the state governments involved and the central government is to immediately increase the release of Yamuna water from the Hathni Kund Barrage in Haryana, to at least 70 per cent from the current bar of mere 3 per cent," Gupta, who is also a Delhi BJP leader, said.
Gupta said despite the Supreme Court likening Yamuna to a "drain", no concrete action has been taken by the Centre and the governments of Haryana, UP and Delhi to protect the river.
He alleged that funds are being "embezzled by various parties" in the name of various schemes to protect the river.
"More than Rs 4,000 crore has been spent on various schemes in the name of protecting Yamuna but they have gone down the drain due to huge corruption. Has anybody asked what has happened to that fund.
"The Delhi government claims that its treatment plants are treating waters but we know where these treated waters are going -- to the power plants. And, therefore we also demand a judicial inquiry into this," he added.
Udayan Sharma, national adviser Yamuna Raksha Dal said that Holi will not be celebrated at Barsana in Mathura if their demands about the river revered by many through Hindu mythology, are not met.
"The rally had begun on March 1 and it is neither a political nor a religious issue but for the common good of all," Gupta added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand