Save Yamuna activists threaten jail bharo agitation
New Delhi: Scores of people, who had started a march-to-Parliament from Vrindavan a week back seeking urgent steps to "save" Yamuna, will reach the national capital on March 10, NGOs associated with the agitation said today.
At a press conference, representatives of NGOs Yamuna Raksha Dal and Kisan Union said activists will resort to `jail bharo` agitation if the government does not accept their demands.
"From common man to farmers to religious devotees to all those who are concerned about the river Yamuna will assemble in Delhi on March 10 and proceed to Parliament," Yamuna Raksha Dal president Vijender Gupta said.
"Our first demand to the state governments involved and the central government is to immediately increase the release of Yamuna water from the Hathni Kund Barrage in Haryana, to at least 70 per cent from the current bar of mere 3 per cent," Gupta, who is also a Delhi BJP leader, said.
Gupta said despite the Supreme Court likening Yamuna to a "drain", no concrete action has been taken by the Centre and the governments of Haryana, UP and Delhi to protect the river.
He alleged that funds are being "embezzled by various parties" in the name of various schemes to protect the river.
"More than Rs 4,000 crore has been spent on various schemes in the name of protecting Yamuna but they have gone down the drain due to huge corruption. Has anybody asked what has happened to that fund.
"The Delhi government claims that its treatment plants are treating waters but we know where these treated waters are going -- to the power plants. And, therefore we also demand a judicial inquiry into this," he added.
Udayan Sharma, national adviser Yamuna Raksha Dal said that Holi will not be celebrated at Barsana in Mathura if their demands about the river revered by many through Hindu mythology, are not met.
"The rally had begun on March 1 and it is neither a political nor a religious issue but for the common good of all," Gupta added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown