Saviours of government have been exposed: Mamata Banerjee
New Delhi: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday slammed the Left and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for not supporting the no-confidence motion moved by her party against the UPA government over its policies, including allowing foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Taking on both the Opposition parties, the Trinamool Congress supremo took to her facebook account to make public her displeasure.
Hitting out at the Left and BJP, the West Bengal Chief Minister said parties opposing the government didn’t come forward citing various excuses.
“Today, you have seen that according to our commitment to the people of the country, AITMC Members of the Parliament have moved the no-Confidence Motion against the UPA Government on the opening day of the Session. We knew our limitation was the strength, and ultimately, that is why the Motion was rejected,” Mamata said in a post on her Facebook account.
“But we thought that other Members who are so vociferous against the FDI in Retail and other sectors, and various other anti-people decisions of the UPA Government, would join the No-Trust Move against the Government. Unfortunately, they did not come forward for the cause of the people, citing various excuses.”
“Though the Motion was rejected on the floor of the House due to numbers, but the ‘No Trust’ against the UPA Government is not rejected by the people of the country. Now, you see the saviours of the Government are exposed,” the TMC chief wrote.
Earlier, the Lok Sabha Speaker rejected the Trinamool Congress` bid to move the no-confidence motion against the government.
Sudeep Bandopadhyay of the Trinamool sought leave of the House to move the no-confidence motion against the government. Speaker Meira Kumar asked members to stand if they supported the motion. Other than the 19 Trinamool MPs, only four Biju Janata Dal (BJD) MPs stood in support.
Any no-confidence motion needs support of at least 50 members to be admitted and moved in the Lok Sabha.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Swachh Bharat mission fails March 2016 urban-trash targets
- Land reforms fail, 5% of India’s farmers control 32 percent land
- Five indicators of India's looming demographic disaster
- 13 Indians died in Pakistan jails since 2013, India calls for thorough investigation
- 'Invisible hand' behind inaction of CBI, ED in AgustaWestland probe, says Manohar Parrikar in Rajya Sabha