Savita death report nears publication
London: The long-awaited internal report into the death of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar in Ireland is likely to be published soon, with her husband agreeing to allow his lawyer to meet the head of a health service investigation this week.
Praveen Halappanavar had postponed the meeting with Prof Sabaratnam Arulkmaran until after the inquest into Savita`s death, which concluded last month that she died of medical misadventure.
His lawyer, Gerard O`Donnell and his friend, CVR Prasad, a hospital consultant, will meet Prof Arulkumaran in Galway city on Wednesday.
Praveen decided not to attend the meeting himself.
According to the `Irish Independent`, they are expected to make detailed submissions, based on evidence that emerged over the course of the eight-day inquest in Galway last month.
Savita, 31, died at Galway University Hospital on October 28 last year after she miscarried her baby at 17 weeks.
The inquest was told of a litany of systems and communications failures and how the medical team missed the early signs of blood poisoning that eventually killed her.
The inquest also heard how her two requests for a termination were refused because her life was not at risk, in accordance with stringent anti-abortion laws in Ireland.
The government has since agreed a draft bill to clarify the country`s complex abortion laws.
Prof Arulkumaran, a London-based obstetrician, was commissioned by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to chair a clinical review of Savita`s death.
Praveen had initially refused to co-operate, instead calling for an independent public inquiry. He was further upset when a draft of Prof Arulkumaran`s findings was leaked to the media.
The draft report found there was an over-emphasis on the welfare of the foetus and an under-emphasis on Savita`s deteriorating health.
One of the issues at the meeting will focus on whether any issues have emerged between evidence given at the inquest into Savita`s death and the HSE investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested