Savita Halappanavar`s family to decide soon on lawsuit
London: The family of 31-year-old Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar, who died of blood poisoning at a hospital in Ireland last October, will soon decide whether to pursue a case in the European courts.
Savita had a miscarriage at 17 weeks as Galway Hospital staff turned down her two requests for termination because Ireland is a `Catholic country`.
An inquest held at Galway Courthouse last month recorded a verdict of death as a result of medical misadventure but her husband, Praveen Halappanavar, had said he would seek further answers in a European court.
His solicitor, Greg O`Donnell, told local Irish media that Praveen is due to meet "legal representatives soon to discuss about pursuing a case in Europe".
Yesterday he met the chairperson of Health Safety Executive (HSE) review team, Professor Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, who is in charge of publishing a long-awaited report into the circumstances surrounding Savita`s death on October 28, 2012.
O`Donnell, was accompanied by Praveen`s friend orthopaedic surgeon CV Prasad and suggested a number of amendments in to the HSE report into her death.
"If these recommendations are implemented in full, we believe they will lead to significant improvements and ensure that something like this never happens again to a woman in Ireland.
We were happy with the meeting. They told us they would incorporate the changes," O`Donnell said, confirming that the report is expected to be published within weeks as no further meetings have been planned.
The Irish government, meanwhile has also agreed on a draft bill to clarify the complex laws around abortion in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack