Savita Halappanavar`s family to decide soon on lawsuit

Last Updated: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 16:25

London: The family of 31-year-old Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar, who died of blood poisoning at a hospital in Ireland last October, will soon decide whether to pursue a case in the European courts.

Savita had a miscarriage at 17 weeks as Galway Hospital staff turned down her two requests for termination because Ireland is a `Catholic country`.

An inquest held at Galway Courthouse last month recorded a verdict of death as a result of medical misadventure but her husband, Praveen Halappanavar, had said he would seek further answers in a European court.

His solicitor, Greg O`Donnell, told local Irish media that Praveen is due to meet "legal representatives soon to discuss about pursuing a case in Europe".

Yesterday he met the chairperson of Health Safety Executive (HSE) review team, Professor Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, who is in charge of publishing a long-awaited report into the circumstances surrounding Savita`s death on October 28, 2012.

O`Donnell, was accompanied by Praveen`s friend orthopaedic surgeon CV Prasad and suggested a number of amendments in to the HSE report into her death.

"If these recommendations are implemented in full, we believe they will lead to significant improvements and ensure that something like this never happens again to a woman in Ireland.

We were happy with the meeting. They told us they would incorporate the changes," O`Donnell said, confirming that the report is expected to be published within weeks as no further meetings have been planned.

The Irish government, meanwhile has also agreed on a draft bill to clarify the complex laws around abortion in the country.

PTI




comments powered by Disqus