Savita’s abortion request ‘goes missing’ from Irish hospital
Dublin: Hospital medical notes relating to the care of pregnant Indian woman Savita Halappanavar, who died after being denied an abortion in Ireland, have no record of her asking for a termination.
Health Service Executive (HSE) files on Halappanavar’s death include her requests for tea, toast and an extra blanket, but not her repeated appeals for an abortion.
Her grieving husband Praveen’s solicitor made the allegations as he called on India to pile pressure on Irish Government to hold a public inquiry.
According to the Sun, lawyer Gerard O’Donnell said there was ‘a huge deficiency’ in tragic Savita’s medical file, which will play a key role in the internal HSE probe.
Praveen, 34, has refused to participate because he has no faith in it being impartial.
Savita, 31, died last month, days after doctors repeatedly denied her an abortion and reportedly told her that ‘this is a Catholic country.
“We’ve studied the records closely, I’ve had them looked at by another doctor and I wrote to the HSE on Monday regarding shortcomings... There is absolutely no request in the records that Savita and her husband looked for a termination,” O’Donnell said.
HSE boss Tony O’Brien said he was not aware of any deficiencies in the files, the report said.
A second statutory probe was set to be launched by the Health Information and Quality Authority, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest