Savita’s abortion request ‘goes missing’ from Irish hospital
Dublin: Hospital medical notes relating to the care of pregnant Indian woman Savita Halappanavar, who died after being denied an abortion in Ireland, have no record of her asking for a termination.
Health Service Executive (HSE) files on Halappanavar’s death include her requests for tea, toast and an extra blanket, but not her repeated appeals for an abortion.
Her grieving husband Praveen’s solicitor made the allegations as he called on India to pile pressure on Irish Government to hold a public inquiry.
According to the Sun, lawyer Gerard O’Donnell said there was ‘a huge deficiency’ in tragic Savita’s medical file, which will play a key role in the internal HSE probe.
Praveen, 34, has refused to participate because he has no faith in it being impartial.
Savita, 31, died last month, days after doctors repeatedly denied her an abortion and reportedly told her that ‘this is a Catholic country.
“We’ve studied the records closely, I’ve had them looked at by another doctor and I wrote to the HSE on Monday regarding shortcomings... There is absolutely no request in the records that Savita and her husband looked for a termination,” O’Donnell said.
HSE boss Tony O’Brien said he was not aware of any deficiencies in the files, the report said.
A second statutory probe was set to be launched by the Health Information and Quality Authority, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof