Savita’s abortion request ‘goes missing’ from Irish hospital
Dublin: Hospital medical notes relating to the care of pregnant Indian woman Savita Halappanavar, who died after being denied an abortion in Ireland, have no record of her asking for a termination.
Health Service Executive (HSE) files on Halappanavar’s death include her requests for tea, toast and an extra blanket, but not her repeated appeals for an abortion.
Her grieving husband Praveen’s solicitor made the allegations as he called on India to pile pressure on Irish Government to hold a public inquiry.
According to the Sun, lawyer Gerard O’Donnell said there was ‘a huge deficiency’ in tragic Savita’s medical file, which will play a key role in the internal HSE probe.
Praveen, 34, has refused to participate because he has no faith in it being impartial.
Savita, 31, died last month, days after doctors repeatedly denied her an abortion and reportedly told her that ‘this is a Catholic country.
“We’ve studied the records closely, I’ve had them looked at by another doctor and I wrote to the HSE on Monday regarding shortcomings... There is absolutely no request in the records that Savita and her husband looked for a termination,” O’Donnell said.
HSE boss Tony O’Brien said he was not aware of any deficiencies in the files, the report said.
A second statutory probe was set to be launched by the Health Information and Quality Authority, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror