Savita’s death in Ireland has echo in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Echoes of the death of an Indian dentist in Ireland, after doctors there allegedly refused to terminate her pregnancy, were heard in Rajya Sabha on Friday with BJP demanding immediate steps by India to ensure justice to the victim and action against the guilty.
Raising the issue through a Special Mention, Maya Singh (BJP) demanded India`s immediate intervention to bring justice to the family of dentist Savita Halappanavar, who died in a tragic condition after allegedly being denied medical assistance for abortion on the ground that it was Catholic country.
Singh said the issue was very sensitive and condemnable where the doctor was denied abortion by "wrong definition of law" and sought immediate steps by India to bring justice to the family by ensuring that they get proper compensation and stringent punishment to the guilty.
While BJP members associated with the demand, senior party leader Najma Heptulla demanded to know from External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who was present, as to whether anything has been done in this regard.
Khurshid said the issue was being looked into by the Indian Embassy.
The 31-year-old dentist died on October 28 in Ireland from blood poisoning after doctors allegedly refused to terminate her pregnancy, saying it was a Catholic country.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank