Savita’s death report nears publication
London: The long-awaited internal report into the death of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar in Ireland is likely to be published soon, with her husband agreeing to allow his lawyer to meet the head of a health service investigation this week.
Praveen Halappanavar had postponed the meeting with Prof Sabaratnam Arulkmaran until after the inquest into Savita`s death, which concluded last month that she died of medical misadventure.
His lawyer, Gerard O`Donnell and his friend, CVR Prasad, a hospital consultant, will meet Prof Arulkumaran in Galway city on Wednesday.
Praveen decided not to attend the meeting himself.
According to the `Irish Independent`, they are expected to make detailed submissions, based on evidence that emerged over the course of the eight-day inquest in Galway last month.
Savita, 31, died at Galway University Hospital on October 28 last year after she miscarried her baby at 17 weeks.
The inquest was told of a litany of systems and communications failures and how the medical team missed the early signs of blood poisoning that eventually killed her.
The inquest also heard how her two requests for a termination were refused because her life was not at risk, in accordance with stringent anti-abortion laws in Ireland.
The government has since agreed a draft bill to clarify the country`s complex abortion laws.
Prof Arulkumaran, a London-based obstetrician, was commissioned by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to chair a clinical review of Savita`s death.
Praveen had initially refused to co-operate, instead calling for an independent public inquiry. He was further upset when a draft of Prof Arulkumaran`s findings was leaked to the media.
The draft report found there was an over-emphasis on the welfare of the foetus and an under-emphasis on Savita`s deteriorating health.
One of the issues at the meeting will focus on whether any issues have emerged between evidence given at the inquest into Savita`s death and the HSE investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared