Savita’s husband ‘may take case to European Court of HR’
London: The husband of Indian woman Savita Halappanavar, who died due to pregnancy-related complications after being denied abortion in Ireland, could go to the European Court of Human Rights unless there is a sworn public inquiry into his wife’s death.
A statutory Health Information and Quality Authority probe into Savita’s death after suffering a miscarriage in University Hospital, Galway, was announced yesterday.
But Praveen Halappanavar’s solicitor Gerard O’Donnell insisted that he has always made it very clear that he wanted a public inquiry.
He made it clear that he wants to get to the truth of the matter so I don’t think the framework of HIQA will suffice, the Sun reports.
According to the report, Health Minister James Reilly sympathised in person when he met Praveen, 34, for the first time, and said ‘the court in Strasbourg might certainly look at a case like this.”
Meanwhile, the Irish public health watchdog has announced that it has launched a probe into the matter.
Dentist Savita, 31, died on October 28 after she was refused a potentially life-saving abortion.
Praveen believes she would still be alive if she had been granted an abortion days earlier, when she was told she was losing her baby.
The widower alleged doctors refused his wife`s requests because there was a foetal heartbeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured