Savita’s husband ‘may take case to European Court of HR’
London: The husband of Indian woman Savita Halappanavar, who died due to pregnancy-related complications after being denied abortion in Ireland, could go to the European Court of Human Rights unless there is a sworn public inquiry into his wife’s death.
A statutory Health Information and Quality Authority probe into Savita’s death after suffering a miscarriage in University Hospital, Galway, was announced yesterday.
But Praveen Halappanavar’s solicitor Gerard O’Donnell insisted that he has always made it very clear that he wanted a public inquiry.
He made it clear that he wants to get to the truth of the matter so I don’t think the framework of HIQA will suffice, the Sun reports.
According to the report, Health Minister James Reilly sympathised in person when he met Praveen, 34, for the first time, and said ‘the court in Strasbourg might certainly look at a case like this.”
Meanwhile, the Irish public health watchdog has announced that it has launched a probe into the matter.
Dentist Savita, 31, died on October 28 after she was refused a potentially life-saving abortion.
Praveen believes she would still be alive if she had been granted an abortion days earlier, when she was told she was losing her baby.
The widower alleged doctors refused his wife`s requests because there was a foetal heartbeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'