Savita`s life could have been saved: British MP
London: Noting that religious views have taken precedence over medical need, an Indian-origin British MP on Friday said the two inquiries launched by Ireland into the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar should satisfy her family and friends.
The life of Savita could have been saved, if the medical procedures were taken in need of the patient in the Ireland hospital, said Virendra Sharma, Labour MP.
"Savita Halappanavar, 31, died after complications with her pregnancy on October 28 after being denied an abortion as Ireland is a Catholic country.
Halappanavar`s family had asked several times for an abortion but were refused due to Ireland`s constitution which bans abortion," he said in a statement.
"The Irish authorities need to ensure where there is a complication, risk of life or death, medical procedures are always taken in need of the patient. I am concerned that religious views have taken precedence over medical need, suggesting medical negligence. Two lives were taken on October 28 but it must be made clear that one life could have been saved," Sharma said.
"I`m hopeful that the two inquiries investigating the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar are carried out, answering key questions relating to the decisions and actions that led to the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar.
These important investigations need to be answered to the family and friends of Savita."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?