SC agrees to hear PIL for CBI probe into IPL spot-fixing case
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today agreed to hear next week a PIL seeking shifting of probe into the IPL spot-fixing scandal from Delhi and Mumbai Police to CBI to unearth the larger conspiracy and insulate the investigation from "highly influential persons and politicians".
The petition in this regard was mentioned before a bench of justices Gyan Sudha Misra and Madan B Lokur which said that the matter will be heard next week.
The petitioner said the investigation in the scandal should be handed over to CBI from Delhi, Mumbai Police and officials of other probe agencies so that proper co-ordination takes place and the guilty persons do not go scot free due to "mismanagement and lack of co-ordination between different police agencies."
The petitioner, Sharmila Ghuge, an educationist in a Mumbai law college, wanted the apex court to direct CBI to probe allegations of spot fixing, match fixing, betting etc pertaining to the cricket matches of IPL-6 or its earlier versions.
The CBI should unearth the huge racket behind such illegalities and take the strongest possible action against all the masterminds behind such acts, she said.
The petition said for a "fair and proper" investigation, the cases registered by both the states should be probed by CBI, as otherwise there are chances that the probe can be hampered by "highly influential persons and politicians".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling