SC asks for `cash for vote` probe details
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought a
status report from the Union Government on the action taken
against Parliamentarians for allegedly attempting to bribe BJP
MPs during the trust vote faced by the UPA government in July
A bench of Justices Aftab Alam and R M Lodha sought the
status report while issuing notices to the Centre and the city
police commissioner on a PIL alleging inaction against the
Senior counsel Rajiv Dhawan and counsel Prashant Kumar
appeared for petitioner and former Chief Election Commissioner
J M Lyngdoh.
In the PIL, Lyngdoh had sought directions to the
government to set up an independent Special Investigation Team
(SIT) to probe in a time bound manner the `cash-for-vote` scam
during the trust vote faced by the UPA government in July
He also pleaded that the SIT chief should be given
absolute powers and independence to choose the best officers
to complete the probe in six months.
The petition alleged that though the entire nation was
shocked by the spectacle of three BJP MPs displaying wads of
currency notes in Parliament as bribe money to vote in favour
of the UPA during the July 22, 2008 trust vote, yet no action
has so far been taken against the guilty persons.
According to the petition, neither the Delhi Crime Branch
which registered an FIR nor the chairman of the Joint
Parliamentary Committee headed by Kishore Chandra Deo, which
inquired into the allegation, had so far taken any tangible
steps to initiate action against those responsible for the
On July 22, 2008, three BJP members had placed Rs one
crore cash in the Lok Sabha alleging that they were given to
them by floor managers of the UPA government to secure their
support during the no-confidence motion after Left parties
withdrew their support over the Indo-US Nuclear deal.
The BJP leaders had claimed that the floor managers had
sought to purchase them through a Samajwadi Party leader.
The allegation was levelled by the BJP MPs Ashok Argal, Faggan
Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared