SC asks for `cash for vote` probe details
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought a
status report from the Union Government on the action taken
against Parliamentarians for allegedly attempting to bribe BJP
MPs during the trust vote faced by the UPA government in July
A bench of Justices Aftab Alam and R M Lodha sought the
status report while issuing notices to the Centre and the city
police commissioner on a PIL alleging inaction against the
Senior counsel Rajiv Dhawan and counsel Prashant Kumar
appeared for petitioner and former Chief Election Commissioner
J M Lyngdoh.
In the PIL, Lyngdoh had sought directions to the
government to set up an independent Special Investigation Team
(SIT) to probe in a time bound manner the `cash-for-vote` scam
during the trust vote faced by the UPA government in July
He also pleaded that the SIT chief should be given
absolute powers and independence to choose the best officers
to complete the probe in six months.
The petition alleged that though the entire nation was
shocked by the spectacle of three BJP MPs displaying wads of
currency notes in Parliament as bribe money to vote in favour
of the UPA during the July 22, 2008 trust vote, yet no action
has so far been taken against the guilty persons.
According to the petition, neither the Delhi Crime Branch
which registered an FIR nor the chairman of the Joint
Parliamentary Committee headed by Kishore Chandra Deo, which
inquired into the allegation, had so far taken any tangible
steps to initiate action against those responsible for the
On July 22, 2008, three BJP members had placed Rs one
crore cash in the Lok Sabha alleging that they were given to
them by floor managers of the UPA government to secure their
support during the no-confidence motion after Left parties
withdrew their support over the Indo-US Nuclear deal.
The BJP leaders had claimed that the floor managers had
sought to purchase them through a Samajwadi Party leader.
The allegation was levelled by the BJP MPs Ashok Argal, Faggan
Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata