SC asks for CVC Thomas’ appointment details
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday directed the central government to place before it the file to indicate that it has followed all procedures of consultation in the appointment of PJ Thomas as the central vigilance commissioner (CVC).
The apex court bench, headed by Chief Justice SH Kapadia, also asked the central government whether Thomas satisfied the criteria of being an outstanding civil servant, as required for appointment as the CVC.
The court has given the government two weeks to submit its reply. Under the existing procedure, a panel comprising the Prime Minister, the Home Minister and the leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha select the CVC.
However, the appointment of Thomas as the head of the central anti-corruption watchdog, the Central Vigilance Commission, had sparked off a storm, with Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj alleging that Thomas, a former telecom secretary, was appointed to cover up the 2G spectrum scam.The Bharatiya Janata Party had also boycotted his swearing-in ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!