SC asks for CVC Thomas’ appointment details
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday directed the central government to place before it the file to indicate that it has followed all procedures of consultation in the appointment of PJ Thomas as the central vigilance commissioner (CVC).
The apex court bench, headed by Chief Justice SH Kapadia, also asked the central government whether Thomas satisfied the criteria of being an outstanding civil servant, as required for appointment as the CVC.
The court has given the government two weeks to submit its reply. Under the existing procedure, a panel comprising the Prime Minister, the Home Minister and the leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha select the CVC.
However, the appointment of Thomas as the head of the central anti-corruption watchdog, the Central Vigilance Commission, had sparked off a storm, with Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj alleging that Thomas, a former telecom secretary, was appointed to cover up the 2G spectrum scam.The Bharatiya Janata Party had also boycotted his swearing-in ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH