SC asks government to consider special court on 2G Spectrum
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday asked
the Centre to consider setting up a special court to deal
with the Rs 1.76 lakh crore 2G spectrum scam.
A bench of justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly said
there was a need for a special court in view of the magnitude
of the offence as otherwise the objective of the prevention of
Corruption Act and Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA)
could not be achieved.
"Unless the government is prepared to create a special
court, purpose will not be served. It is the need of the hour,
we must have exclusive courts to deal with these offences,"
the bench observed.
Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium admitted that the
case needs special expertise and said he would consult the
government and report back to the court.
"We have to get a special court if we want objective
of the statue to be achieved. It cannot be done with existing
manpower and infrastructure," the bench said.
The apex court pointed out that though the government
was enacting a number of laws, it was not creating adequate
courts as the result of which the existing courts are over
burdened and there is no way special cases like the present
one can be dealt in an expeditious manner.
"The present courts are over burdened. Most important
in this case is appreciation of evidence from a normal murder
case. Here it is a conspiracy. That conspiracy angle has to be
investigated. It needs expertise. When you enact a law, you
should have that in mind," the bench observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery