SC asks government why it wants to remove Lalli
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked the central government to file a statement of facts stating why it wants to remove public broadcaster Prasar Bharati`s CEO BS Lalli, who is currently under suspension.
The apex court bench of Chief Justice SH Kapadia, Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice Swatanter Kumar gave the government four weeks to file the statement stating the reason to remove Lalli.
Thereafter, the court gave Lalli three weeks to respond to the government`s statement of facts.
The apex court direction came in the wake of the centre`s reference to the court seeking its enquiry and opinion for Lalli`s removal.
Additional Solicitor General Mohan Jain appeared for the government.
Senior counsel KK Venugopal, who appeared for Lalli, told the court that his client was retiring this year and wanted to clear his name of any charges before he demits office.
Lalli, who is facing corruption charges, was placed under suspension Dec 29, 2010.
The Shunglu committee report had noted that Prasar Bharati had sanctioned highly inflated bills for the host broadcasting of the Commonwealth Games held in Delhi in October 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic