SC asks government why it wants to remove Lalli
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked the central government to file a statement of facts stating why it wants to remove public broadcaster Prasar Bharati`s CEO BS Lalli, who is currently under suspension.
The apex court bench of Chief Justice SH Kapadia, Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice Swatanter Kumar gave the government four weeks to file the statement stating the reason to remove Lalli.
Thereafter, the court gave Lalli three weeks to respond to the government`s statement of facts.
The apex court direction came in the wake of the centre`s reference to the court seeking its enquiry and opinion for Lalli`s removal.
Additional Solicitor General Mohan Jain appeared for the government.
Senior counsel KK Venugopal, who appeared for Lalli, told the court that his client was retiring this year and wanted to clear his name of any charges before he demits office.
Lalli, who is facing corruption charges, was placed under suspension Dec 29, 2010.
The Shunglu committee report had noted that Prasar Bharati had sanctioned highly inflated bills for the host broadcasting of the Commonwealth Games held in Delhi in October 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!