SC asks government why it wants to remove Lalli
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked the central government to file a statement of facts stating why it wants to remove public broadcaster Prasar Bharati`s CEO BS Lalli, who is currently under suspension.
The apex court bench of Chief Justice SH Kapadia, Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice Swatanter Kumar gave the government four weeks to file the statement stating the reason to remove Lalli.
Thereafter, the court gave Lalli three weeks to respond to the government`s statement of facts.
The apex court direction came in the wake of the centre`s reference to the court seeking its enquiry and opinion for Lalli`s removal.
Additional Solicitor General Mohan Jain appeared for the government.
Senior counsel KK Venugopal, who appeared for Lalli, told the court that his client was retiring this year and wanted to clear his name of any charges before he demits office.
Lalli, who is facing corruption charges, was placed under suspension Dec 29, 2010.
The Shunglu committee report had noted that Prasar Bharati had sanctioned highly inflated bills for the host broadcasting of the Commonwealth Games held in Delhi in October 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral