SC Commission wants definition of corruption expanded
New Delhi: The National Commission for Scheduled Castes has suggested expanding the definition of the term corruption in the proposed Lokpal Bill by including issues like non utilisation and diversion of funds from schemes meant for the welfare of STs and SCs.
It has also suggested that no judge or the Chief Justice should be eligible for appointment in Lokpal panel if he has "passed adverse judgement on important Dalit issues".
In a communication sent to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Law and Justice and Personnel scrutinising the Lokpal Bill, the Commission is learnt to have said issues like non earmarking of funds under Scheduled Caste sub plan and
tribal sub plan in proportion to respective population should also fall under the definition of corruption.
The decision to suggest broadening the definition of graft was taken at a meeting of the full Commission held recently.
"...Non formulation of schemes exclusively for the benefit of SC, ST; non utilisation of funds; diversion of these funds for schemes other than welfare of SC/ST, deprivation of rights and safeguards provided in the Constitution and other laws passed by Parliament and state Assemblies and official orders and notifications" be brought ambit under the definition of corruption, the Commission has told the Standing Committee.
It has also suggested that in the prescribed qualifications, a provision should be added that Lokpal or its members "must be free from caste bias".
Commission Chairman PL Punia had recently appeared before the Parliamentary panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state