SC declines bail to PwC auditor in Satyam scam
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today declined
to grant bail to Price Waterhouse auditor Subramani
Gopalkrishnan, who was arrested in Rs 7,136-crore Satyam fraud
for allegedly conniving with its founder Chairman B Ramalinga
Raju and other aides.
However, a bench comprising Chief Justice K G
Balakrishnan and Justice Deepak Verma permitted Gopalkrishnan,
then working as a partner of the global accounting firm,
to renew his bail application over delay by probe agency CBI
in filing the third chargesheet.
Following it, the court permitted Subramani
Gopalkrishnan`s to withdraw his bail petition.
During the proceedings of the court, senior counsel
Siddharth Luthra, representing Gopalkrishnan, said his client
was wrongly prosecuted as he was only a partner of
PriceWaterHouse (PWC) and not an employee of Satyam.
"All the allegations against him are in verbatim only. He
was working as a part of PWC and not an employee of Satyam.
Besides, the trial in this case has not been started," he
Opposing it, Additional Solicitor General H P Rawal said
main accused B Ramalinga Raju is in hospital and so the
charges could not be framed.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court had rejected the bail plea
of Gopalakrishnan and another auditor Talluri Srinivas in
December last year.
However, later Srinivas got bail from the apex court on
February 3 after he was asked to furnish a personal bond of Rs
20 lakh and two sureties of like amount and surrender of his
passport as conditions.
The auditors were arrested on January 24, 2009, on the
charge of conspiring in the fraud and had been in judicial
custody since then in Hyderabad.
On March 15, the apex court had dismissed the bail plea
Ramalinga Raju saying he cannot be released until the main
witnesses in the case are examined. It also said Raju can file
bail application at a later stage when all the main witnesses
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India