SC declines petition on implementation of Witchcraft Act
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today declined
to entertain a petition seeking proper enforcement of the law
to prevent the practice of witchcraft and witch-hunting in
tribal states, the victims of which are generally women.
"We are not going to entertain this sort of petition. If
you want to pursue, you go to the High Court. We cannot
supervise. We have enough of such cases," a Bench headed by
Chief Justice said refusing the plea of a Dehradun-based
organisation seeking direction to the Centre and the state
governments for proper implementation of the Anti-Witchcraft
The Bench was unmoved by the submission of advocate
Meenakshi Arora, appearing for the organisation Rural
Litigation and Entitlement Kendra that it was difficult for
it to approach the High Courts in Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh,
Assam, Orissa, Bihar and Rajasthan.
"The organisation cannot approach the High Courts in six
states," she submitted.
The organisation had also sought a direction to the
Centre for creating a seperate fund and scheme to support the
"victims of Dayan Pratha (witchcraft)".
It approached the apex court saying that despite the
existencce of Anti-Witchcraft Acts, the states have failed to
implement the legislation in letter and spirit.
"Witch-hunt and witch-trial are being conducted in tribal
areas of Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Assam, Orissa, Bihar and
Rajasthan. The forms of violence include torture, bodily harm,
gang-rape, sexual harm of the women who are alleged to be
witches and they are at times smeared with urine and human
excreta," the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22