SC declines to hear Nupur Talwar’s bail plea
New Delhi: In a major setback to dentist Nupur Talwar, accused in the Aarushi-Hemraj double murder case of 2008, the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to hear her bail plea and review petition challenging her trial in a lower court in connection with the case.
Nupur Talwar is an accused in the sensational double murder case along with her husband Dr Rajesh.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Supreme Court termed as "premature" the arguments of dentist Nupur Talwar for quashing of proceedings against her on the basis of alleged lacunae in evidence in the twin murder case of her daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj.
"This is not the stage to argue on the evidence. If you argue on it then we will have to draw a conclusion on it which might be dangerous for you. It is too premature to argue. "These things have to be decided by the trial court on the basis of cross examination," a bench of justices AK Patnaik and JS Khehar said.
"If we take a call on it and come to a certain conclusion then everything would be over."
"You cross-examine the persons who appear in the case during trial and then say it`s nonsense. But we cannot examine all those things," the bench said during the hearing which saw the CBI bringing a new advocate in place of Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval, who had an exchange of sharp remarks with Justice Patnaik during the last hearing over the scope of hearing in the review petition.
Nupur, facing trial in the twin-murder case, urged the Supreme Court to quash the proceedings against them and sought further probe into the case to find out the real culprit.
She said the special CBI court erred in taking cognizance of the murders against her and her husband Rajesh Talwar and discharging another accused Krishna from whose pillow the blood stains of Hemraj had been found.
Fourteen-year-old Aarushi was found dead with her throat slit at her Noida residence on the night intervening May 15 and 16, 2008, while Hemraj`s body was recovered from the terrace of the house the next day.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what