SC declines to stay trial court proceedings against Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to stay the proceedings in the trial court in a defamation case filed by Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal`s son Amit against former Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal and AAP leaders Shazia Ilmi, Prashant Bhushan and Manish Sisodia.
A bench comprising justices HL Dattu and SA Bobde did not accept the submission of AAP leaders` counsel Jayant Bhushan that till the disposal of the petition in the apex court, the court proceedings should be stayed.
The bench said it can only expedite the hearing of the matter in the apex court and posted it for July 22.
Earlier, on February 7, the Supreme Court had issued notice to Kejriwal and other AAP leaders.
The Delhi High Court had on January 16 had refused to quash defamation proceedings against AAP leaders but had told the trial court to consider their discharge plea.
Challenging the order, Amit Sibal had said that the High Court cannot confer the power to discharge on a Magistrate in a triable case instituted on a private complaint.
He had also submitted that HC granted exemption from personal appearance thought it was not sought by Kejriwal and others.
Amit had filed a defamation suit against Kejriwal and others for alleging that he had taken advantage of his father`s position to represent telecom companies and the trial court had issued summons to them on July 24 last year.
The AAP leaders had moved the High Court seeking quashing of the proceedings in trial court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks