SC declines to stay trial court proceedings against Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to stay the proceedings in the trial court in a defamation case filed by Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal`s son Amit against former Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal and AAP leaders Shazia Ilmi, Prashant Bhushan and Manish Sisodia.
A bench comprising justices HL Dattu and SA Bobde did not accept the submission of AAP leaders` counsel Jayant Bhushan that till the disposal of the petition in the apex court, the court proceedings should be stayed.
The bench said it can only expedite the hearing of the matter in the apex court and posted it for July 22.
Earlier, on February 7, the Supreme Court had issued notice to Kejriwal and other AAP leaders.
The Delhi High Court had on January 16 had refused to quash defamation proceedings against AAP leaders but had told the trial court to consider their discharge plea.
Challenging the order, Amit Sibal had said that the High Court cannot confer the power to discharge on a Magistrate in a triable case instituted on a private complaint.
He had also submitted that HC granted exemption from personal appearance thought it was not sought by Kejriwal and others.
Amit had filed a defamation suit against Kejriwal and others for alleging that he had taken advantage of his father`s position to represent telecom companies and the trial court had issued summons to them on July 24 last year.
The AAP leaders had moved the High Court seeking quashing of the proceedings in trial court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?